Controls Engineer: To provide installation support, maintenance, and training of downstream equipment. Implement Plant Lean initiatives. Manage projects and improve process flow for packaging and ancillary equipment.
About the Company
A global packaging manufacturer bringing over 60 years of experience is looking to expand their team. They offer a competitive benefits package in addition to a lot of growth opportunity. Many of their products dominate the consumer marketplace in both household and food products. Their primary processes include both injection molding and blow molding. They operate in over 30 countries, have 100+ plants and over 10,000 employees. They are rapidly growing and expanding across the U.S.. Since inception, the site in St. Louis has doubled in equipment and output. They have a hands-on, tenured management team and believe in developing their people to be autonomous in their craft and collaborate among departments.
LOCATION: St. Louis, MO
Built along the western bank of the Mississippi River, St. Louis is a home to major corporations, professional sports teams and a growing medical presence. Founded in 1764, the Independent City has a rich history and it is the cultural and economic center for the state of Missouri. With a population nearing 3 Million, St. Louis has all the offerings of a booming metropolitan area The city offers a bustling blues community paired with outstanding BBQ.
In addition to the St. Louis Zoo, the city also operates more than 100 parks, with amenities that include sports facilities, playgrounds, concert areas, picnic areas, and lakes. Forest Park, located on the western edge of city, is the largest park in the city. St. Louis is also home to two professional sports teams: the St. Louis Cardinals, one of the most successful major league baseball clubs and the St. Louis Blues. The city is commonly identified with the Gateway Arch, part of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial in downtown St. Louis and is an ideal location looking for a good Midwest location to raise a family or to settle down.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports installation and maintenance of downstream equipment
- Assists with new layouts and designs and provides studies/information needed
- Develops Standard Operating Procedures
- Trains and provides troubleshooting assistance to Maintenance and operators on new equipment as needed
- Ensures plant personnel are able to independently maintain newly installed production lines
- Assures all plant safety/accident prevention policies are adhered to. Maintain a safe work environment and safe work practices, complete accident investigation when necessary, and ensure any outside contractors adhere to Company policies and procedures in safety.
- Fully involved with local management team. Provides technical input, solutions and options on improving productivity/efficiencies, and documented product quality, for all product lines.
- Responsible for tracking expenditures and labor costs to insure compliance with plant and department budgets.
- Recommends and may implement programs to eliminate identified problems, to improve labor utilization, upgrade facilities, and reduce costs.
- Seeks bids on construction, alteration or installation work as required. Recommends contractors based on cost, workmanship, and completion dates. Administers such contracts, and coordinates work performed to insure expectations are met.
- Responsible for the development, implementation, improvement and compliance of preventative maintenance programs. Ensures repair work is documented.
- Maintains current layout of buildings and grounds indicating location of all pipes electrical service, drainage and other utility services.
- Responsible for compliance with applicable Federal, State and local safety and health, environmental, building and fire ordinances and standards not limited to lockout, haz-com, machine guarding and waste disposal. Is an active participant in local safety program.
- Responsible for the operation and maintenance of the facilities heating, air conditioning, electrical and compressed air systems.
- 4-year Technical Degree, ideally Industrial Engineering
- 5 years working experience in similar field
- Experience with a variety of packaging equipment – robot station palletizers, basic automated sorting systems, bottle label applicators, carton erectors, vision systems, etc.
- Basic Project Management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven track record of training hourly employees
- Very good in using Auto CAD
- Proficient with computer applications (e.g. Power Point, Excel, Access)