Product Development Engineer
This position provides support and project management for large capital projects and cost reduction initiatives. Individuals will be required to manage multiple plastic bottle projects of varying size and scope from concept to production. Analyze and recommend design, material, and/or process improvements to solve packaging related issues.
About the Company
For over 50 years, this plastic manufacturer has become a leader in the packaging market. They serve 5 primary markets including Food, Healthcare, Personal care, Household and Automotive. In order to continue their growth, they are looking to add a Quality Manager to run one of their 20 plants. This company offers great advancement opportunities and employee growth.
Manage Product Development Engineering Projects (5-15+ depending on size and scope of projects).
- Resolve Project related issues to assure achieving project objectives.
Communicate project related issues where additional assistance is required promptly to Engineering Supervisor for resolution
- Support Pricing with ‘preliminary’ NPD evaluation information for Quotations as directed.
- Preliminary Project Classification assignments for Quotations. This is assisting sales and pricing group in determining project feasibility and subsequent project classification based on an internal classification system
- Manage projects in accordance with Project Management Standard Operating Procedures:
- Complete Internal Design Review
- Coordinate Project Definition Meeting for NPD Projects. PDE drives a project, they are the project manager – they coordinate and collaborate with all parties – the customer, vendors, sales, operations, quality, etc – to define a new project – the scope of the project, who’s responsible for what, establishes timelines utilizing Pareto and Gantt charts
- Track Projects in compliance to minimum project system requirements using specialized project management tracking software.
- Make recommendations for and assist in mold procurement
- Identify molding issues and make corrective action recommendations
- Lead a team of Design, Engineering and Manufacturing people to completion of challenging blow molding related projects.
- Travel is 20-50% depending on project status.
- Other tasks as assigned
- BS Engineering (plastics or packaging engineering ideal) or Associate’s Degree in plastics processing if adequate work experience exists (If not degreed in plastics engineering, prior technical/mechanical work environment should include in excess of 5 years hands on plastics processing experience and related project management experience.)
- 3-5 years experience in PET Injection Stretch Blow Molding and/or Injection Blow molding are the two desired – either/or or skills in both would be ideal.
- Experience with one-step and two-step platforms: SIPA, Sidel, Nissei are some, we would like someone with experience in both with two-step being the most important. IBM platforms we utilize include Uniloy and Husky. Platform refers to the machine type and/or plastic process used. One-step is an injection blow molding process that utilizes one machine to blow the preform and the bottle. Two-step process utilizes one machine to blow the preform and another machine to blow the bottle.
- Knowledge of plastics processing (both theoretical and hands-on) Understanding of plastic materials and test methods – project management skills are paramount to being a good Product Development Engineer; however, PDE’s that spent time in process engineering are ideal as they do have a better understanding of machine capability and plastics/resin properties and processing
- Tooling design experience is a major plus
- Strong understanding of manufacturing platforms for containers
- Injection Molding
- Injection Stretch Blow Molding
- Ability to manage, maintain and set priorities on multiple product development projects
- Understanding of statistical tools for evaluation of data (Minitab, WinSPC, etc.)
- Strong time management skills
- Ability to deal with all levels of personnel (maintenance to executives)
- Ability to foster/nurture Customer Relationships
- Ability to organize (multiple projects, files, tasks, etc.)
- Strong Results-oriented approach
- Dependable, safety minded, analytical, creative, detail-oriented, works well independently, capable of clearly expressing thoughts and ideas to others
- Understanding of plastic materials and test methods
- Ability to design and conduct DOE’s.
- Ability to Document
- Ability to Communicate both verbal and written
LOCATION: ATLANTA, GEORGIA
Atlanta is the capital of, and the most populous city in the state of Georgia. As a national center for the arts, Atlanta is home to significant art museums and institutions. Atlanta hosts over 35 million visitors per year, who come to see their aquarium, their history museums and their many outdoor attractions. Atlanta has over 343 parks, nature preserves, and gardens cover 3,622 acres. Atlanta contains a notable amount of historical museums and sites, including the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site, the Atlanta Cyclorama & Civil War Museum, the World of Coca-Cola, the Carter Center and Presidential Library, and the Margaret Mitchell House and Museum, site of the writing of the best-selling novel Gone with the Wind. Atlanta’s word famous Zoo supports over 1,300 animals representing more than 220 species. For pro sports enthusiast, Atlanta is also home to three major sports teams: the Atlanta Braves of MLB, the Atlanta Hawks of the NBA, and the Atlanta Falcons of the NFL.
About CEO Inc.
CEO Inc. is an award-winning, full-service search firm that centers on people and is committed to finding the right fit for our candidates and clients alike. For over 20 years CEO Inc. has successfully placed top professionals in technical, sales and executive roles with industry-leading companies.
For further information, please email us at Brianna@CEOInc.com, or call 704-369-3201. You may also visit us at www.ceoinc.com.