Senior Manufacturing Engineer
Medical Device Company – Metro area, PA
Composite materials are unique in nature: they are made from two (or more) individual substances with significantly different attributes, that when combined, produce a material with characteristics more desirable than its individual components. Our client is a real world example of this process.
This medical device company, dedicated in their work towards cancer treatment, is the product of a medical company ingrained in the radiotherapy community without a design team that teamed up with a carbon fiber design firm with little experience in radiotherapy devices. Together, they have formed a growing company that has doubled since 2009 and continues to expand.
Experienced Manufacturing/Materials and Process Engineer needed who possesses a strong background in advanced composites and great passion for their work. This engineer will not only be technically sound with an extensive knowledge of composites and polymers, but he or she will desire the ability to play a key role in the manufacturing process as a whole— a skilled professional with a down to earth attitude who loves being able to really dig in to their work.
Under general directions with limited review, this position is responsible for applying innovative approaches to developing and overseeing production manufacturing processes and ensuring Lean and Continuous Improvement initiatives are applied.
Other duties include:
- Continually review and develop engineering R&D and product development capabilities
- Set direction for programming standards, fixturing and tooling
- Mentor and guide multi-functional design teams to complete tasks and projects as scheduled
- Work to diagnose programming and operational problems and develop and implement the solutions
- Design, develop and implement fixtures
- Research new capital equipment as needed
- Assist in determining the manufacturability of newly designed products
- Work closely with machine operators in developing and documenting new and existing processes
- Work closely with process engineers on implementing new designs
- Research, propose and review requests for changes for products within the company’s portfolio and new product designs
- B.S. degree in Engineering; preferably mechanical, chemical or materials science
- Core competency in composites and polymers
- 7 or more years of experience in Advanced Composites Manufacturing
- Hands on experience in working with prepregs, core laminates, hand layup, in and out of autoclave and other processes; Resin Transfer Molding (RTM) and Vacuum Assisted Resin Transfer Molding (VARTM) experience highly desirable
- Experience with a variety of tooling techniques for both molding and machining/trimming.
- Familiarity with Lean concepts and implementation.
- Experience using Process Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (PFMEA) tool
- 3D CAD experience, SolidWorks a plus
- Passion for the work
- Diligent attitude
- Highly dedicated and close-knit team environment
- Growth culture
- Innovative work that resonates on a global scale
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- 401K with 3% company contribution
- Possible bonus potential